In many ways St. Francis is one of my heroes of the faith. Where there are some things I strongly disagree with him on in some of his statements you can see his heart in the following prayer.
- “Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
- Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
- Where there is injury, pardon.
- Where there is doubt, faith.
- Where there is despair, hope.
- Where there is darkness, light.
- Where there is sadness, joy.
- O Divine Master,
- grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love.
- For it is in giving that we receive.
- It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
- May this heart and passion speak to you also as it has spoken to me. May He conform us more to his image as was designed when we seek to be peacemakers, and lovers of people.
- He has also said, “It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching.” I desire one day to do missions but this quote spoke to me because I have, unfortunately at one time become so narrow minded about a land that I neglected the people I saw on the journey because I just wanted to get to that land. Perhaps in order to be a man of purpose, I realized maybe I need to live a life of purpose and not just fulfill the final purpose I desire.
- May you whoever reads this desire to be a peacemaker, and a lover of people, and the things of God. May we be a people of purpose. May we desire to be not conformed to the image of this world but transformed back into clearer images of God not that we are gods but we are his stewards, and created in his image.